Ben and Sophie had a ball at the trunk or treat--My Sophie pics will have to come next time, as someone else snapped those. She was Cinderella. She decided last-minute by choosing out of her plethora of costumes in her dress-up box, but looked way cute as usual. Ben was a great looking pirate. You can't see it well, but he has a way-tough winged sword tattoo on his chest.
This was a night photo, so it looks all crazy--but spooky! We did our trunk for the trunk or treat into a big ghost--the car version of the lazy-parents' Halloween costume--throw a sheet on it!
We celebrated Noah's birthday at the Noah's Ark Exhibit at the Skirball museum. It was amazing--the best children's museum I've been to. I can't recommend it highly enough--we'll be going back there soon. Just tonight Noah was telling me the story about the Ark--it really made an impression!
Oh, I also met with Ben's principal, who, after seeming entirely at a loss about what to do, recommended a part-time school, part-time homeschool situation (weird that my husband and the principal came around to the idea of homeschooling again before I did). We'll give it a shot. I have a great book about discovering a child's learning style that has been a huge insight into Ben--being free to do the hands-on field trips again will be so helpful. I love them too.
I sometimes worry too much about how I'll be perceived going back to HSing yet again, but I'm committed to doing the right thing for Ben and following the Lord's guidance, so I really can't stress about everyone's opinions. Anyone who objects is free to come live my life and I'll come mess up yours--we all think we'd do a better job running others' lives than we do our own, don't we? I'm guilty of that sometimes but am determined to cut it out--people do the best they can and are entitled to inspiration for their own kids. We need to just be there for each other regardless of our differences and quit with the judgments. But, until that time, I'll just ignore the raised eyebrows and try to keep my own under check.
David's off in Florida for work until Wed or Friday. Wish me luck...
3 comments:
Wouldn't it be nice if parenting could come stress free! You are doing a wonderful job with your children - and don't let anyone's raised eyebrows make you think differently.
Love ya!
Valerie,
I do pray for you and Dave and the kids on a regular basis now. My heart really went out to you on that last post!
It's freeing to not be concerned with other's judgments of you. You're doing all you can and that's enough. I'm so proud of your hard work as a mom and how you're facing challenges.
I keep remembering when you & Dave couldn't have kids and wondering if you ever would. And now here they are and you're their mom. And you're doing a very important job, one that I think is tougher than any other. It can just tear out your heart! You just love them so much. They force us to be so unselfish.
I love your guts and send my love to all of you.
-Janet
Ben's costume looks great!! And you did a great job on the cake--Sammy would have loved it!
Sorry we missed Noah's b-day (and Souplantation)--we'll have to go soon...it's chicken pot pie month and sweet potatoes with maple butter. yuuuummmmmm
Hang in there! I think you are a wonderful and loving mom and are making the right choices for your family.
XOXO
Post a Comment